
It's the very first commandment. And yet, until recently, I was not obeying that command. I LOVE to read. For as long as I can remember, I have ended every day curled up in bed with a good book. I enjoy reading fiction books. Christian fiction. That's good right? For years now, I have been telling myself that these books that I've been reading are OK because they are full of spiritual things. Now, I'm not bashing reading Christian fiction by any means. But these books had become a god to me because they were preventing me from reading the only book that matters. The Bible.
I cannot grow in my relationship with the Lord if I am not daily in His word. I cannot be the wife and mother God wants me to be if I am not leaning on Him every day. I am learning to make my time in the word a priority. I am beginning to desire to learn more. I am now starting and ending my days sitting at the feet of my Savior and allowing Him to fill me up with my daily bread. And if after all that I still feel like reading some fiction, I do so, knowing that I only have one GOD!
6 comments:
Oh, my Jamie: what a precious word about The Word! Pray for me that I'll start getting my daily bread, too! Why does that seem such a daunting task? He's speaking to me now, through you. I love you! Mom
Absolutely! I agree! I was reading a lot of "christian type self-help books". I was definitely reading them over the Bible and I recently had the same conviction that his word can never be replaced!
I like to do my Bible study in the morning and read non-fiction/fiction at night.
This must be an issue that the Lord is working on in many people:). I find it's really hard not to want to read read read--fiction/non-fiction.
I agree with you--we have to get the Word in! It's not a need of a balance(I almost said it was--sometimes, I'd like to think it is) b/c I know we need more of the Word than fiction. Start our day with the Lord and His Word and as we are seeking Him, He will guide us in whatever we need to or get to read.
Maybe our fiction/non-fiction is like desserts, not bad to have at times, but too much "honey" makes the stomach sick(that's in Proverbs, I believe).
Thanks for sharing.
Another Awesome Moment. I love these. The same thing happened to me a few years ago. God is so good to bring this to our attention.
Steph
Just got to read this. Thought it was interesting because I too came to a place where I said no more fiction for now. That's been a while ago. I was so on fire for the Word and wanted to be in it as much as possible to grow and grow. I still haven't picked the fiction back up yet and it doesn't bother me at all.
Post a Comment